No patient presented to us immediately after burn accident. The presentation time is shown in Table 3.
No. of Patients
Within 48 hours
3rd day-1 Week
> 1 Week
Most of the patients had deep burns and needed grafting of their ulcers as described in table 4.
% Age of Patients
Mean time for Healing
In patients with symmetrical involvement of two limbs the effects of honey were compared with Silver sulphadiazine
with patients' consent. The results are depicted in Table 5 and 6.
Superficial burns healed Spontaneously
Deep Burns Needing Grafting
Table 7 shows the results of culture and sensitivity reports.
There is plethora of studies1-16 on honey in the developed world; New Zealand and Australia are leading the work at
In New Zealand there is honey research unit at the University of Waikato,
Hamilton New Zealand. I am in continuous touch with Dr. P.C. Molan17,18 who is the director of the unit working on honey for 20 years.
Dr. P.C. Molan is known as a world authority on this subject. In his lot many publications he has strongly concluded in favor of honey as
the best wound-dressing agent. He has managed to develop a medical grade honey named as MEDI HONEY and published the attributes of medi honey
* Physical barrier to prevent wounds from infection.
* Promote healing by stimulation of growth process as formation of new blood capillaries and fibroblasts.
* No sticking to wounds therefore no tearing away of newly formed tissue, no pain while dressing changed.
* Anti inflammatory action, increase the circulation
* Draws lymph out of wound and lifts dirt/dead tissue out of wound bed
* Rapid clearance of infection from wounds and fully effective even with antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria.
* Unlike antiseptics and antibiotics there is no impairment of healing process.
In India some work has been done on honey and compared with potato peel and silver sulphadiazine and they have similar
It is a novel work in Pakistan since no similar work has been done here until now.
Our clinical experience supports the observations made by the international studies, which have already been described in